Thursday, November 15, 2007

I'm Thankful For Hamburgers

First off, I (Bonny), am a hamburger lover. Some close friends of mine are very aware of this, but for others this might be news to you. Being a burger lover I have been on an unofficial quest to find the best burger (or my fav) here in Athens. I need a place to go for an awesome burger because unfortunately there is no Crown Burger in Georgia...our South of the Salt Lake Valley for that matter. So....I think I might have found it!

Ever heard of 5 Guys Famous Burgers and Fries? I hadn't until we moved to Georgia. Five Guy's has been voted "Best Burgers" for the past five years in Washingtonian Magazine, were rated number one "Bang for the Buck" in Zagat Survey and The Washington Post calls them "the Willy Wonkas of burgercraft." In addition, since expanding outside of the DC Metro area, Five Guys has won the Annapolis Magazine's reader poll for Best Fries, Richmond City Magazine's reader's choice for Best Burger and the Fredericksburg Star's Simply the Best Award for Best Burger. Apparently they have good burgers! 5 guys just opened 2 restraunts in Athens and we had to go check it out. How could we NOT? So here is the menu - kinda reminds me of In & Out:

I ordered the Cheeseburger and Brooks got the Bacon Burger and we shared a large fry. As you can see on the menu they have some interesting toppings. The *weird ones are upon request only except for Sauteed Mushrooms. Anyone else think sauteed mushrooms is weird for a standard hamburger topping? We were obviously rookies at ordering food at 5 Guys. While you wait for your order you enjoy cracking open some tasty peanuts at your table. We loved our burgers! In the photo below you see the spatchula with two patties on it....one thing we didn't realize is that unless you order the "Little" burgers (see menu above) you're gettin' 2 patties! I'm not generally a double person (unless it's a Big Mac...I know, gross...but I think they are soooo tasty) so next time I will for sure order Little.


Soooo....5 Guys is pretty famous here in the East...hence the name. Curious to see their locations? I couldn't copy the image in this post but check out their store locator map. It seems to me that somebody to the West of the Mississippi River needs to get a clue. It seems that every city boasting ownership of a 5 Guys restraunt has also named it Best Burger! or Best Fries! or Best something! Check out their press attention here. They cook their french fries in 100% pure, no cholesterol peanut oil. Hmmm....that sounds less bad for me! Also, their hamburger meat is fresh and you can totally tell when you eat it!

Hungry anyone?

14 comments:

Molly said...

I am sure he-who-must-not-be-named would like to try every burger on the menu. Maybe you could send him one for Christmas. YUM

KayStar said...

i am glad you found a burger joint there, looks so yummy i think i will go and get a burger for lunch today at Brand X.....?????

garrett said...

Man, that looks so freakin' good. My lunch of tacco soup is going to really suck now... I'm pretty sure I'll be headed to Crown Burger for dinner tonight!

Anonymous said...

I miss our Royal Eatery lunches.... :(

Jentry said...

You make a girl on a diet want to cry. We need a Crown Burger in Logan.

Haley said...

Why yes I AM hungry, thank you very much. I wonder if I concentrate hard enough if my jello snack will suddenly satisfy me like a giant hamburger...

The Flynn's said...

Wow, definitely hungry now and wishing we'd gone there Saturday night. Isn't that the other place you suggested? Don't get me wrong, I love the Olive Garden but I too love a great burger.

Robin said...

Mmmm, a burger sounds good. I had my first In 'n Out a couple months ago and I could definitely tell a difference in freshness - the fries actually tasted like potatoes. I feel better about eating food like this when you can tell it's fresh. This place sounds like a winner.

Katey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katey said...

I'm glad I know of your love for hamburgers. :) I still have yet to try the Royal Eatery which I know was one of your favorites. Now that I will be working in downtown SL I will be giving it a try. If I ever go out east and find one of these resturants you speak of, I'll have to go! Holy freak that looks so delicious!

K said...

Wow, that doesn't sound good or anything!!! :) You should know that sauteed mushrooms are my all-time favorite hamburger topping, maybe you guys should open one of these restaurants in Utah, I promise I would be a great customer :)

Jake said...

Those burgers look amazing. I want one for breakfast.

m e l said...

yum . . . .

ALYN said...

Have you tried "clocked"? It's downtown, on the street behind Broad. They serve a mean peanut butter burger! and other sorts too.